Being a gin fan and a liqueur fan, I am always thrilled to see this combination pop up on the market. Kranebet Italian Gin Liqueur might be new to all of us outside of Italy, but Kranebet has been a cure-all found in pharmacies since 1929 and is now a delicious addition to the category!
The juniper plant was known by the Kranebet which comes from the Cimbric (the former Jutland) word “kraneveta” meaning “bitter grains.”
The short history is that “The remarkable success of Dr. Giovan Battista Rossi’s elixirs has been so important to convert the small pharmacy into a real distillery, recognized as the highest in Europe. In 1929 the most typical liqueur of the mountain tradition was born: the Kranebet.” (Learn more about it from my friend Matteo Zed, on his site Amaro Obsession and if you love Amaro then make sure to get his The Big Book of Amaro, as well!)
Dr. Giovan Rossi’s distillery is alive and well since 1924, now Rossi d’Asiago distillers in Asiago, a small town in the Veneto region in Northeastern Italy, and home to Antica Sambuca, Amaretto Veneziana, and so much more. Now they have made Kranebet Botanic Juniper Liqueur available in the UK!
How is Kranebet Italian Gin Liqueur made
Taking hand-picked juniper berries, Kranebet is distilled in a copper still using a bain-marie method (think double-boiler). It is the gentlest way to get the flavor out of the botanicals. Joining juniper are the other botanicals included in the recipe – gentian root, roman absinthe, coriander seeds and quassia bark.
How does Kranebet Italian Gin Liqueur taste
- Color: Clear
- Nose: Juniper forward with a touch of sweetness
- Taste: Just the right amount of bitter and sweet, with the punch of juniper and gentian, softened by the sweetness
- Finish: Sweetness, with a touch of anise
- Alcohol: 40%
Where you can buy Kranebet Italian Gin Liqueur
Disclaimer: Some of these posts contain affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. That means that I may receive compensation if you click on these links and buy something, but, don’t worry, it won’t cost you a dime!
UK: You can find Kranebet at Amazon.
USA: Sorry, not in the USA yet!
Why Lush Life loves it
I am an Old Tom Gin fan and this Kranebet takes it to a whole other realm! Sweet enough to enjoy with ice as a digestivo and bitter enough to serve with tonic!
How you drink Kranebet Italian Gin Liqueur
Kranebet can be served neat or chilled on the rocks. It can also be used in cocktails. Collaborating with former Lush Lifer Erik Lorincz, Rossi d’Asiago has created a series of cocktails. One of which is the the KranebeTonic, a delicious and refreshing botanical aperitif, and that recipe is below!
Top Tip(ple)🍸: If you love Kranebet Italian Gin Liqueur, try another one – Reverend Hubert’s Winter Gin Liqueur by another former Lush Lifer, Thomas Lester!
Kranebet uses hand-picked juniper berries, gentian root, roman absinthe to create a winning liqueur. Add tonic and you have a fab cocktail!
- 1 part Kranebet Botanic Juniper Liqueur
- 3 parts premium tonic water
- 3 juniper berries
- Lemon zest
- Add Kranebet Botanic Juniper Liqueurto a wine glass filled with ice
- Top up with the tonic
- Stir gently
- Drop in the juniper berries
- Garnish with lemon zest
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 480Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 125mgCarbohydrates: 110gFiber: 2gSugar: 102gProtein: 1g
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
More Lush Guides to Liquor!
Want to know more about the spirits that go into your cocktails? Check out my Lush Guides to Liquor!
- Lush Guide to Grenadine – the syrup that’s in almost all your favorite cocktails
- Lush Guide to Avallen – the new calvados that is so fabulous in cocktails
- Lush Guide to Rampur Double Cask Indian Single Malt Whisky – the premier Indian whisky
- Lush Guide to Starward Left-Field Whisky – Australia’s whisky that is fantastic in cocktails
- Lush Guide to Jägermeister – more than just J-bombs!
- Lush Guide to Tanqueray Blackcurrant Royale Gin – Tanqueray makes all sorts of different gins – this one is a blackberry lover’s dream
- Lush Guide to Black Cow Vodka – Actually made out of cheese!
- Lush Guide to Daddy Rack Tennessee Straight Whiskey – Discover the difference that being made in Tennessee makes!
- Lush Guide to Italicus – Rosolio di Bergamatto – the wunderkind spirit that takes the humble bergamot and makes magic
- Lush Guide to Coole Swan Irish Cream Liqueur – a wonderful addition to the Irish Cream category
Let me know what you think of Kranebet Italian Gin Liqueur by tagging me @alushlifemanual on instagram
PIN THIS FOR LATER