My Dad had the best Summer Sangria recipe. Using the best summer fruits, plus a dash a brandy, it’s perfect for a hot summer day, picnics, dinner parties and any other summer entertaining you might be having!
Sangria is not only Spain’s favorite red wine punch, but you will be surprised to know that the drink has been around since 200 BC. Sangria originated in ancient Rome. They also used to add local fresh fruits to a red wine drink. Sangria was presented as a part of the 1964 World Fair in the USA and it gained popularity from there and instantly because everyone’s favorite summer drink!
It really is the perfect drink for those warmer months. On hot summer afternoons at backyard bbqs, this easy Summer Sangria will most definitely be a crowd pleaser!
What goes into Summer Sangria?
For this easy Sangria recipe, you really only need a few ingredients, but adding summer fruit makes it a Summer Sangria!
- Red wine: The main ingredient for this red wine sangria recipe is red wine! I have used Cabernet Sauvignon for this recipe for its prominent red wine flavor, but you can also use any of type of wine, like a Pinot Noir. Using the best wine you have, makes for a better drink!
- Brandy: The addition of brandy gives it its depth.
- Sugar: Add white granulated sugar, brown sugar or simple syrup, if you don’t want to wait for it to dissolve.
- Fresh Lemons and Lemon Juice: Lemon has a citrusy, tangy flavor with a hint of bitterness from the rinds.
- Fresh Oranges and Orange Juice: Add orange for that sweetness.
- Fresh Peaches, Fresh Cherries and Fresh Berries – use any seasonal fruits you can find.
- Fresh Mint: Mint adds freshness and zest to any drink.
- Soda water: Add your favorite club soda or sparkling water to this drink for a bit of fuzz.
What tools you need to make Summer Sangria
Making Summer Sangria is probably one of the easiest thing you can do. The only preparation you have to do is to cut the fruit. The rest is effortless!
- Step 1: Start by cutting and preparing orange, lemon, peach, mint leaves, peaches, cherries. Slice the fruit and remove the pits.
- Step 2: Add the fruit to a large pitcher, white granulated sugar, and red wine. Mix well. You will get a syrup-like consistency.
- Step 3: Place it in the refrigerator for about 24 hours. You can give it a quick stir after intervals. This way, the flavors will infuse with the red wine.
- Step 4: Pour brandy and soda water into the pitcher with loads of ice cubes. Stir and serve the drink in wine glasses with ice cubes. Bottoms up!!
- 🍸Top Tip(le):There are a few fantastic ways you can change the classic sangria recipe:
- White Sangria Recipe: You can replace red wine with white wine, like Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc. You can also us a rosé wine for just a blush of red.
- Orange Liqueur: If you don’t have oranges, add a dash of Triple Sec or Cointreau.
- Thai basil: You can add Thai basil leaves for a hint of savory flavor.
- Brazilian cachaça: This Brazilian version is made using rum, orange liqueur, anise-flavored absinthe, and red wine.
- Thanksgiving: Mix brandy, gin, and pomegranate juice with fruits like apple, pear, and orange along with a cinnamon stick for a perfect fall drink.
Try these other summer cocktails:
Where to find ingredients for Summer Sangria
Here is the recipe!
- 50 oz red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon is a good choice)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large lemon sliced
- 1 large orange sliced
- 1 large peach cut into thin sections
- 3-4 oz brandy
- Soda water
- Mix wine, sugar and fruit, and let sit in the fridge for 18-24 hours. The mixture will have a somewhat syrupy consistency
- Before serving stir in brandy and cut mixture with soda water until it have a thinner, more wine-like consistency
- Serve a pitcher in wine glasses with loads of ice!
- Add any fruit you like. I sometimes add cherries if they are in season!
- Mint is a great garnish as well.
Pin it for later
Love this recipe?
Follow me on Pinterest for loads of great recipes and much more!! Just click the little red pin button at the top of the recipe card!