Moscow mule is undoubtedly one of the easiest classic cocktail recipes there are. All you need is three simple ingredients and a couple of copper mugs to enjoy on a hot summer day!
No matter whether the Moscow Mule was invented to convince Americans to drink ginger beer or vodka, it tastes amazing. Surprisingly, it is the most searched of all cocktails on the internet. Maybe it’s the Moscow Mule mug that makes it look so refreshing. Whatever it is, the inventors had a hit on their hands!
Believe it or not, the Moscow Mule isn’t just paired with copper mugs because it looks cool. Who invented it is another story! Marketing executive John G. Martin had a new client: the Smirnoff Distillery. No one was drinking vodka at the time. He grabbed a copper cup and ran down to the Cock ‘n Bull bar in Los Angeles where the head bartender Wes Price and bar owner Jack Morgan were on hand to invent this enduring classic.
What goes into a Moscow Mule
Here is what you need for the original Moscow Mule recipe:
- Vodka: You can use any branded vodka for this recipe, Smirnoff Vodka, Grey Goose . The only thing you have to ensure is it should be of a premium brand. Vodka is what makes this drink boozy.
- Ginger Beer: Spicy ginger beer is ginger ale’s brother with its strong ginger flavor! It is what is called for in a classic Moscow Mule cocktail recipe. It has more bang for its buck than Ginger Ale. Q Ginger Beer is a great brand or Fever-Tree Ginger beer, or your own brand of ginger beer that you like!
- Fresh Lime Juice: Lime juice adds the zest! Have on hand a lime wedge or lime wheel to throw in the drink as well.
- Mint: A fresh sprig of mint makes all the difference
- Ice: I like crushed ice, but ice cubes are just fine!
What tools you need to make Moscow Mule
You won’t be needing a cocktail shaker for this – one of the easiest cocktail recipes on my site. Grab a jigger, a barspoon, and Moscow Mule Mugs for this Moscow Mule recipe. This classic 3-ingredient cocktail is super quick and easy to make. Here is what you have to do:
First, you will need copper mugs which is a traditional way to enjoy this drink. If you don’t have them, you can use a highball glass, rocks glass, or any other cocktail glass. Fill your mug or glass with crushed ice. Now, pour vodka and lime juice over the ice. Top up with your fresh ginger beer. Garnish with lime slices and bottoms up!
- 🍸Top Tip(le): The best and most traditional way to serve a Moscow Mule is in a solid copper mug. That’s because it acts as an insulator and your drink stays chilled and fresh for longer. You can also add these other garnishes to perk it up a bit and make it your own:
- Fresh mint leaves
- A few cucumber slices
- A few real ginger slices
Where to find more Mule cocktails
Although this is the original Moscow mule recipe, it isn’t the only one. Over the years, you can find several Mule recipes that have taken the classic formula and run with it. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Mexican Mule: Probably the most popular type apart from the Moscow mule is the Mexican mule. It is made using tequila instead of the vodka!
- Irish Mule: This is yet another popular variation which uses Irish whiskey instead of vodka, keeping the other two ingredients the same.
- Gin Mule: You got it by now – add gin instead of vodka
- Apple Cider Mule: Adding apple cider to the classic recipe makes it perfect for the Autumn
- Kentucky Mule: Another famous variation includes Bourbon whiskey along with lime juice and ginger beer.
Plus more Mule cocktail recipes here
Disclaimer: Some of these posts contain affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. That means that I may receive compensation if you click on these links and buy something, but, don’t worry, it won’t cost you a dime!
Where to find ingredients for Moscow Mule cocktails
You can find all the ingredients at Spirits Kiosk (10% off the entire site by quoting this code: ALushLife10SK.) in the UK; or Drizly (Get $5 Off Your Order of $20+ using code ALUSHLIFE5) in the USA!
Here is the recipe!
The easy classic recipe for the Moscow Mule is made with only three ingredients: vodka, ginger beer and lime. Don't forget to garnish with a slice of lime.
- 2 oz Vodka
- 4 oz Ginger Beer
- 1/2 oz Lime Juice
- Add the vodka and lime juice to a copper mug filled to the brim with crushed ice
- Top with the Ginger Beer
- Garnish with a slice of lime
Disclaimer: Some of these posts contain affiliate links. I may receive compensation if you click on these links and buy something, but, don’t worry, it won’t cost you a dime! As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 195Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 9mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 0gSugar: 16gProtein: 0g
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Love this recipe?
Follow me on Pinterest for loads of great recipes and much more!! Just click the little red pin button at the top of the recipe card!
Pin it for later