Who is this X Muse (pronounced Tenth Muse btw) and why is she making vodka? Don’t worry, all will soon be revealed. We begin with barley, add to it Scottish know-how, and then a dash of Greek mythology and you have a singular spirit.
For all of you well versed in Greek mythology, you will know there were the Nine Muses who presented the arts (in alphabetical order: Calliope, Clio, Euterpe, Thalia, Melpomene, Terpsichore, Erato, Polyhymnia, and Urania). What you might not know is there was a Tenth Muse who has no name and “represents all that is unseen, not captured, defined or understood.”
Some say it was the poet Sappho, but I am here to discuss vodka and not argue over the nomenclature of muses. Whomever she may be, X Muse Vodka is dedicated to her. Another nod to this unknown Muse is the brand tagline found on the box and under the waxed bottle top: ‘Plura Latent, Quam Patent’ (More is hid than uttered).
What is X Muse Vodka
From whence should X Muse spring? The waters drawn from an ancient aquifer below Jupiter Artland. Robert Wilson, co-owner of this glorious museum and garden, joined forces with Vadim Grigoryan, spirits maven and Former global director of Creativity and Luxury at Pernod Ricard to produce a the first Scottish barley vodka.
In order to make their vodka be worthy of its name, the two choose to work with two heritage varieties of barley, Plumage Archer and Maris Otter. Each adds its own distinct and subtle flavor. These are distilled separately and then brought together to produce a smooth, fragrant, luxurious vodka.
Designed by the brilliant Stranger and Stranger (think Italicus), the bottle is in itself a work of art. It is influenced by artist Charles Jencks’s Cells of Life which sits above the aquifer at Jupiter Artland. These swirling, curving grasslands are echoed in the lines of X Muse’s gorgeous clear bottle.
How does X Muse Vodka taste
A lot has been thought about the story of the brand, but it all comes down to taste and I am happy to report that this is one smooth and silky vodka. You would be equally happy to sip it all night as you would be to know it makes up your Martini.
- Color: Crystal clear
- Nose: Fragrant, but subtle green apple.
- Taste: The green apple is there, but it blends with a slight peppery zing.
- Finish: The pepper remains together with a bite of an oatmeal biscuit.
- Alcohol: 40%
Why Lush Life loves it
I love a story and X Muse comes with a lot of story, including the the story of the four symbols your see at teh bottom of the box. So check out the X Muse website for everything that I haven’t mentioned above!
How you drink X Muse Vodka
X Muse is either neat or over ice in a rocks glass, but it can definitely be used in cocktails.
Where you can buy X Muse Vodka
UK: You can find X Muse at Whisky Exchange
USA: You’ll have to wait for it!
Top Tip(ple)🍸: So happy to bring you a few cocktail recipes from my friend and former Lush Lifer, Denis Broci!
Cocktails made with X Muse Vodka
More Lush Guides to Liquor!
Want to know more about the spirits that go into your cocktails? Check out my Lush Guides to Liquor!
- Lush Guide to Grenadine – the syrup that’s in almost all your favorite cocktails
- Lush Guide to Avallen – the new calvados that is so fabulous in cocktails
- Lush Guide to Rampur Double Cask Indian Single Malt Whisky – the premier Indian whisky
- Lush Guide to Starward Left-Field Whisky – Australia’s whisky that is fantastic in cocktails
- Lush Guide to Jägermeister – more than just J-bombs!
- Lush Guide to Tanqueray Blackcurrant Royale Gin – Tanqueray makes all sorts of different gins – this one is a blackberry lover’s dream
- Lush Guide to Black Cow Vodka – Actually made out of cheese!
- Lush Guide to Daddy Rack Tennessee Straight Whiskey – Discover the difference that being made in Tennessee makes!
- Lush Guide to Italicus – Rosolio di Bergamatto – the wunderkind spirit that takes the humble bergamot and makes magic
- Lush Guide to Coole Swan Irish Cream Liqueur – a wonderful addition to the Irish Cream category
Let me know what you think of X Muse Vodka by tagging me @alushlifemanual on instagram
PIN THIS FOR LATER