It’s hard for some to get over its provocative name, but the Sex on the Beach is not only a popular drink, but a classic cocktail as well. It’s one for those backyard barbecues on a hot summer day when you are sitting by pool!
Where the Sex on the Beach was born
There are two rival stories that lead to the origin of this classic Sex on the Beach recipe! While one story can’t commit to where this tropical drink was invented, but somehow know it was somewhere in 1982, the other story is the one I am going with!
During the rise of the peach schnapps craze, the Florida bartender Ted Pizio from Confetti’s Bar was challenged to create a new popular cocktail. He combined the peach liqueur with a mix of vodka and fruit juices, then slapped a rather controversial name on it and it has since become the beach drink recipe. The name was a combo of what he thought were the two most popular things at that time: “sex” and “beach.” So now you could grab this fruity cocktail, instead of the Fuzzy Navel, the Cape Codder or the Long Island Iced Tea!
Like the history of any cocktail, take the history of the Sex on the Beach drink recipe with a grain of salt!
What goes into a Sex on the Beach?
Although it was all about the peach schnapps to begin with, you always need great ingredients to make a great cocktail!
- Vodka: The key ingredient used in this Sex on the Beach cocktail recipe is vodka. When buying vodka, make sure you don’t compromise on its quality.
- Peach schnapps: This peach cocktail is loaded with peach flavor! This peach liqueur is very sweet, so watch how much you add to it!
- Crème de cassis or Chambord: This black currant liqueur is gorgeous and adds that deep pink to the cocktial.
- Orange juice: Fresh orange juice is a must! Although you can use premade orange juice, I prefer using fresh orange juice in all cocktails. You can taste the difference!
- Cranberry juice: Cranberry juice adds not only color, but cuts through the sweetness of peach schnapps.
- Garnish: You can use either an orange slice or maraschino cherries or both to garnish this classic cocktail.
What tools you need to make the Sex on the Beach
You need a cocktail shaker for this one! Also grab a jigger, a barspoon, a strainer and highball glasses for this popular cocktail recipe.
Start by pouring the vodka, peach schnapps, creme de cassis, orange juice, and cranberry juice to your cocktail shaker. Next, add ice cubes and then seal the lid of the shaker tightly and shake, shake, shake! Then, strain is all into a tall glass filled with plenty of ice! Garnish with a cherry on toothpicks or orange slices. Enjoy!
- 🍸Top Tip(le): Here are a few ways you can customize this great cocktail:
- Fresh Grapefruit juice: Use grapefruit juice instead of orange juice. It is citrusy with a touch of bitterness, giving it a less fruity flavor, more acidic.
- Fresh Pineapple juice: Use pineapple juice instead of cranberry juice flavor. It is a sweet yet tart flavor.
- Black raspberry liqueur: Black raspberry liqueur is sweet-tart with a dark color as well.
- Flavored Vodkas: You can change the classic recipe by adding any flavored vodka! It just becomes less of a peach cocktail and more of what flavor you are going for!
- Virgin Sex on the Beach: Remove the vodka and add peach nectar instead of the peach schnapps.
Where to find more vodka recipes
Here are a few of my favorites:
- How to Make a Cranberry Vodka Martini
- How to Make a Vodka Press
- How to Make the Portobello Vodka Cosmo 2.0
- How to Make a Green Apple Martini
- How to Make the Vodka Sunrise
- How to Make the Vodka Sour
Plus more fruity cocktails here:
Disclaimer: Some of these posts contain affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. That means that I may receive compensation if you click on these links and buy something, but, don’t worry, it won’t cost you a dime!
Where to find ingredients for Sex on the Beach cocktail
You can find all the ingredients at Spirits Kiosk (10% off the entire site by quoting this code: ALushLife10SK.) in the UK; or Drizly (Get $5 Off Your Order of $20+ using code ALUSHLIFE5) in the USA!
Here is the recipe:
Sex on the Beach
It's hard for some to get over its provocative name, but the Sex on the Beach is not only a popular drink, but a classic cocktail as well.
- 1 1/2 oz Vodka
- 1/2 oz Peach schnapps
- 1/2 oz Crème de Cassis or Chambord
- 1 1/2 oz Fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 oz Cranberry juice
- Garnish: Orange slice & maraschino cherry
- Add the vodka, peach schnapps, creme de cassis, orange juice. and cranberry juice to a shaker.
- Add ice
- Shake, shake, shake
- Strain into a highball glass with ice
- Garnish with the orange and cherries!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 6mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 3gSugar: 46gProtein: 2g
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Pin it for later
Love this recipe?
Follow me on Pinterest for loads of great recipes and much more!! Just click the little red pin button at the top of the recipe card!