This cocktail is sponsored by:
If you want to learn all about how the Mint Julep came to be, then check out the Lush Life episode: How to Drink the Mint Julep with Stacey Yates, Kentucky Tourism!
This Mint Julep recipe comes to you directly from Kentucky. Serve it in a silver cup and don your hat - it's Kentucky Derby time!
- 2 cups sugar (256g)
- 2 cups water (270ml)
- Sprigs of fresh mint
- Crushed ice
- Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- Silver Julep Cups
- Make a simple syrup by boiling sugar and water together for five minutes.
- Cool and place in a covered container with six or eight sprigs of fresh mint, then refrigerate overnight if you have time.
- Make one Julep at a time by filling a julep cup with crushed ice.
- Add one tablespoon mint syrup and two ounces of Kentucky Bourbon.
- Stir rapidly with a spoon to frost the outside of the cup.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.