Probably the most famous of all dessert cocktails, the Grasshopper cocktail is as popular as it ever was. Disco green in color, thanks to its key ingredient Crème de Menthe, this minty, chocolatey post dinner drink in a Martini glass is one of my favorite of all time!
I think it was due to the fact that my mother and grandmother used bake and sell Grasshopper Pies to a local bakery, that I have been partial to mint chocolate desserts since I was a child. As I grew older began making my own cocktails, I discovered my Mom’s old Grasshopper cocktail recipe and it’s on the top of the list of my favorite cocktail recipes.
What is a Grasshopper Cocktail
The recipe for this icon among green cocktails is so simple: a combination of crème de menthe, white crème de cacao, and cream, all served in a chilled cocktail glass and topped with mint leaves.
The recipe is super easy and also, surprisingly, low-ABV, so not a strong drink to end the evening with or drink as dessert.
Where was the Grasshopper born
Head over to French Quarter of New Orleans and pull up a bar stool at Tujague’s, the second oldest restaurant in New Orleans, to hear all about the the birth of the original grasshopper (and to drink one!)! The story goes that, in 1918, the owner Philibert Guichet headed up North to New York City for a cocktail competition.
Although his combination of creme de menthe, crème de cacao and single cream only earned him a second prize, that classic Grasshopper cocktail has remained one of the most famous cocktails of all time. You can still find it served there, more than 100 years after it was invented!
Disclaimer: Some of these posts contain affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. That means that I may receive compensation if you click on these links and buy something, but, don’t worry, it won’t cost you a dime!
What tools you need to make the Grasshopper
It’s super easy to make with its simple ingredients and equal parts crème de menthe, crème de cacao, and cream. You’ll need shake this one quite hard to give it that creamy, foamy quality.
What are all the ingredients in a Grasshopper
- Green Crème de Menthe – I am a purist so only Bols Crème de Menthe will do, but feel free to play around with peppermint schnapps.
- Crème de Cacao – Make sure you buy Bols White Crème de Cacao, nor Brown Crème de Cacao. You won’t get that bright green color if you don’t!
- Cream – I would suggest not skimping on the cream. You might save a few calories but choosing a light cream, but to get that perfect creamy texture, you really need the weight of the single cream. If you are in the UK, no need for double cream or heavy cream.
- Mint leaves – I love to add a few mint leaves to the top, just to add even more mint aroma and mint flavor.
There are many makes of Crème de Menthe, but I only use Bols! if you follow Lush Life podcast, you will meet my friend Jamie Campbell, Brand Experience Manager of Bols. In this episode, he takes you through the history of the Bols distillery. Most importantly, he shares my love of the Grasshopper cocktail!
Here he is showing you that you don’t even need to get up from the table to make great cocktails!
- Top Tip(ples)🍸 : Variations on the Grasshopper Cocktail!
- Add chocolate shavings on top
- Swirl the glass with chocolate syrup
- Adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, or even mint chocolate chip ice cream, can make it even dessertier!
How to drink more dessert and green cocktails:
- The other dessert cocktail fav is the Brandy Alexander
- A White Russian is a creamy, coffee treat
- Cocktail recipes for St. Patrick’s Day always included great green cocktails!
- Also greener than green is the Incredible Hulk Shot
Where to find the best Grasshopper in the world
Punch, the all-drink website, went “In Search for the Ultimate Grasshopper!” They concluded that famed bartender Dale DeGroff’s was the best, not surprisingly! Hat’s off to the traditional Tujague’s.Grasshopper as well!
Where to find ingredients for the Grasshopper
Here is the recipe:
A 70's classic, this combination of creme de menthe, creme de cacao, and cream is one of those perfect dessert cocktails. Forego the cake and have a cocktail instead!
- 1 oz Bols Green crème de menthe
- 1 oz Bols White crème de cacao
- 1 oz Heavy cream
- Garnish: Mint
- Add all ingredients to a shaker
- Add ice and shake, shake, shake
- Strain into a chilled coupe glass.
- Add mint leaves to the top of the cocktail
PIN THS RECIPE FOR LATER