Did you know Don Papa Rum was the first sipping rum to come out of the Philippines? Created in 2012, Don Papa is a sweet rum with a hint of sweet vanilla which is perfect for your summer holiday cocktails.
The story of Don Papa begins with Stephen Carroll, formerly of Remy Cointreau who heard that the world’s finest sugarcane coming from the Philippines – and in particular on the island of Negros aka Sugarlandia. He founded the Bleeding Heart Rum company and began to make Don Papa.
Negros island is the fourth largest in the Philippines, and Don Papa is distilled at the foothills of Mount Kanlaon from a molasses base. The name Don Papa was inspired by Papa Isio, the Philippine revolutionary. Papa Isio, whose real name was Dionisio Magbuelas, led a group of shamans, known as babaylanes. He fought against the United States in the revolution of the 1890s and was the last to stand down. He was initially a foreman in a sugar plantation, thus the link to rum and why he appears on every bottle of Don Papa rum.
How does Don Papa Rum taste
Don Papa is distilled and aged for over seven years in American oak barrels which enhances the flavors of vanilla and caramel.
- Color: a dark rum with a light copper, caramel hue
- Nose: Fruity and vanilla, sweet and light.
- Taste: Vanilla ice cream sprinkled with raisins and caramel sauce with a hint of orange peel.
- Finish: Medium finish with a cinnamon candy flavor
- Alcohol: 40%
Why Lush Life loves it
The cocktails this rum makes are killer. I love the cream soda quality that this Filipino rum adds to every cocktail!
Disclaimer: Some of these posts contain affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. That means that I may receive compensation if you click on these links and buy something, but, don’t worry, it won’t cost you a dime!
Top Tip(ple)🍸: If you love this Don Papa Rum, try the other expressions, Don Papa 10, Don Papa Baroko, and so many others! You can find them all on Whisky Exchange!
How you drink Don Papa Rum
Don Papa Rum can be served either neat or over ice in a rocks glass, and it can definitely be used in cocktails.
Cocktails made with Don Papa Rum
Don Papa Rum
Don Papa's Rum cocktail, the Sun in the Tropics, is a super refreshing thirst quencher inspired by the vibrant sun rays of Sugarlandia!
Don Papa’s Poolside Punch is packed with tingling summer flavors for all to enjoy.
The Don Papa Rum's Bacolod spritz is a bright and fizzy poolside favorite!
Where you can buy Don Papa Rum
UK: You can find Don Papa Rum at Spirits Kiosk. (don’t forget to use ALushLife10SK to get 10% off! – it’s only for my readers and good on anything in their shop!
USA: You can find Don Papa Rum on Drizly!
More Lush Guides to Liquor!
Want to know more about the spirits that go into your cocktails? Check out my Lush Guides to Liquor!
- Lush Guide to Grenadine – the syrup that’s in almost all your favorite cocktails
- Lush Guide to Avallen – the new calvados that is so fabulous in cocktails
- Lush Guide to Rampur Double Cask Indian Single Malt Whisky – the premier Indian whisky
- Lush Guide to Starward Left-Field Whisky – Australia’s whisky that is fantastic in cocktails
- Lush Guide to Jägermeister – more than just J-bombs!
- Lush Guide to Tanqueray Blackcurrant Royale Gin – Tanqueray makes all sorts of different gins – this one is a blackberry lover’s dream
- Lush Guide to Black Cow Vodka – Actually made out of cheese!
- Lush Guide to Daddy Rack Tennessee Straight Whiskey – Discover the difference that being made in Tennessee makes!
- Lush Guide to Italicus – Rosolio di Bergamatto – the wunderkind spirit that takes the humble bergamot and makes magic
- Lush Guide to Coole Swan Irish Cream Liqueur – a wonderful addition to the Irish Cream category
Let me know what you think of Don Papa Rum by tagging me @alushlifemanual on instagram
PIN THIS FOR LATER