The Select Aperitivo Americano cocktail beautifully blends the herbal aromatics of Select liqueur with the sweetness of vermouth, and finished with a spritz of soda.
Select Aperitivo was created in 1920 by the Pilla Brothers in Venice with 30 botanicals, balancing sweet and bitter tones with a vibrant ruby red color. Read more about it on my post!
Background of the Classic Americano Cocktail
The Americano was originally created by combining Campari and sweet vermouth, topped with soda water. The Americano cocktail first became popular among American expats frequenting cafés in Italy in the 19th century – hence the drink’s name referencing its early devotees.
Over time, experimentation led to using various Italian liqueurs in place of Campari, putting unique spins on the classic while maintaining its bitter-sweet profile, thus we have the Select Americano
Ingredients & Equipment for the Select Americano
Now that you know the rich histories behind this drink, let’s go over how to mix this sophisticated cocktail:
- Select Aperitivo
- Sweet Vermouth
- Club soda or soda water
- Orange slice for garnish
Step-by-Step Instructions for Mixing the Perfect Select Americano
Step 1: Add ice to a rocks glass or highball and set aside to chill. Build the cocktail by adding to the glass Select Aperitivo and sweet vermouth.
Step 2: Top with club soda and gently stir to integrate.
Step 3: Garnish with an orange slice. Sip and enjoy this balanced Italian aperitif!
Achieving the Perfect Flavor Balance
Adjust ratios to find your perfect balance:
- Select Aperitivo brings herbal, citrus bitterness
- Sweet Vermouth provides pleasing sweetness
- Soda water lends lively bubbles
Taste as you mix and tweak amounts to your preferred flavor profile. The result is a beautifully balanced, complex aperitif.
Tips for Serving Select Aperitivo Americanos (Americani?)
Follow these tips for an impeccable Select Aperitivo Americano experience:
- Accompany with small savory bites like nuts, olives, or hard cheeses.
- Use premium soda water like Q or Fever Tree for bubbles that enhance, not overpower.
- Play with ratios, adding more soda for a spritzier drink or less for strong spiritous flavor.
- Add a dash of orange or aromatic bitters to further accentuate botanicals.
- For alcohol-free, blend all soda with Italian sodas like chinotto or aranciata.
- Make a batched cocktail by preparing a large pitcher to serve multiple drinks easily.
However you choose to mix it, the Select Aperitivo Americano makes for a sophisticated start to any Italian-style gathering. Salute!
A few other Select Gin recipes to enjoy
Here is the recipe!
This very Venetian Americano is made with equal parts Select Aperitivo and sweet vermouth, and a splash of club soda. It's refreshing and a great summer cocktail!
- 1.5 oz / 40ml Select Aperitivo
- 1.5 oz / 40ml Sweet Vermouth
- 4 oz / 100ml Soda Water
- Garnish: orange slice and green olive
- Add Select and vermouth to a glass filled with ice
- Top up with the soda water
- Stir gently
- Garnish with the orange slice and green olive
Disclaimer: Some of these posts contain affiliate links. I may receive compensation if you click on these links and buy something, but, don’t worry, it won’t cost you a dime! As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 143Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 63mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 15gProtein: 1g
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.