The Cherry Bomb Shot has to be one of the easiest drinks recipes to make. In fact, hardly any work goes into it at all! It requires only three ingredients and is sweet, tasteful with a kick of booze.
I can’t tell you who invented this combination of cherry vodka and grenadine syrup, then added to Red Bull, but it really doesn’t matter. Since the production of Red Bull energy drink came into being, the Cherry Bomb Shot recipe has been one fan favorite!
Just a shot of cherry vodka and Red Bull makes this the classic pre-party “cocktail” bomb shot. The drink is known for not just its taste, but its cool layered effect. The red color of cherry liqueur and splash of grenadine syrup adds a gorgeous effect even in such a small glass.
You can drop the shot into your highball glass and see how the colors dance together. It is not only visually appealing, but the drink tastes refreshing and has a kick.
What is a Bomb Shot
You may have heard of the most famous bomb shot of all, the Jäger Bomb shot! If you know how that works, you understand the bomb shot concept. A bomb shot, aka a depth charge or drop shot, is when you drop the shot glass filled with spirit into highball or rocks glass filled with another liquor.
Then the two liquids become one shot and it is chugged!
Disclaimer: Some of these posts contain affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. That means that I may receive compensation if you click on these links and buy something, but, don’t worry, it won’t cost you a dime!
What is in a Cherry Bomb Shot
There are loads of ways to make a Cherry Bomb recipe, but I am sticking to the purest recipe and the shortest total time to make. The ingredients couldn’t be simpler:
- Cherry liqueur: This is the main ingredient that gives this drink a sweet cherry-like flavor. Also known as cherry brandy, it is a sticky and sweet spirit loaded with cherry flavor. You can easily get it from any grocery store. If you don’t have cherry liqueur, you can choose plain flavored vodka or cherry vodka as well.
- Energy drink: The next main ingredient is the energy drink. You might think that’s an unusual ingredient in a cocktail recipe, but this one really works well. Again, you are free to choose any brand. Red bull is the most common!
- Grenadine syrup: If you want more info on Grenadine, you can check out my Lush Guide to Grenadine! this syrup is widely used in making drinks and cocktails. It is a thick syrup made from pomegranate, lemon juice, and sugar. It is sweet and has a prominent pomegranate flavor and a beautiful vibrant red color. You can buy it or it’s super easy to make at home with Lynnette Marrero’s recipe!
Easy, easy easy.
What tools you need to make the Cherry Bomb shot
First of all, pour vodka or cherry vodka or cherry liqueur into the shot glass and set it aside. Fill the other serving glass with the Red Bull, energy drink or energy soda. Add a splash of grenadine syrup to it. Now, for action, dunk the shot glass into the highball glass, which is filled with Red Bull.
- Homemade cherry vodka: You can make your own cherry vodka – just muddle cherries or maraschino cherries in a cocktail shaker, add the vodka and ice cubes, then strain into the shot glass
- Enough sweetness?: If you like it sweeter, you can use a cherry Dr. McGillicuddy liqueur, maple syrup or just a dash of simple syrup
- Cut the sweet: You can use some lime juice or lemon juice to cut through the sweetness. Or suck on a lime wedge or lime slices if you feel the drink’s sweetness is overpowering the other flavors.
- Add a cherry: You can also add maraschino cherries for more flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How strong is a Cherry Bomb shot?
The strength of a Cherry Bomb shot depends on the amount of alcohol in the cherry-flavored liqueur used. Most cherry-flavored liqueurs have around 15-25% alcohol by volume (ABV), so a Cherry Bomb shot can range from mild to strong, depending on the brand of liqueur and the ratio of liqueur to energy drink.
What energy drink should I use?
Red Bull is a popular choice for making Cherry Bomb shots, but you can use any other energy drink that you prefer
Are there any variations of the Cherry Bomb shot?
Yes, some variations of the Cherry Bomb shot include adding a splash of lime juice or grenadine syrup, or substituting the energy drink with lemon-lime soda or ginger ale.
Where to find more cocktail shot recipes
Here are a few of my favorites:
- Chocolate Cake Shot
- Bomb Pop Shot
- Lemon Drop Shot
- Green Tea Shot
- Watermelon Shot
- Alien Brain Hemorrhage Shot
Plus more grenadine recipes here
Where to find ingredients for the Cherry Bomb shot
- Top Tip(ple)🍸: Make your own cherry vodka or grenadine!
- Cherry Vodka: You can create your cherry vodka. All you have to do is muddle maraschino cherries or fresh cherries in a cocktail shaker. Add vodka, ice cubes and shake for a minute so that the flavors infuse. Strain and use this cherry vodka as you desire!
- Grenadine: Making grenadine is so easy or you use it all the time in cocktails, so follow Lynnette’s easy recipe!
Here is the recipe:
Cherry Bomb Shot
- 1 oz Cherry liqueur or vodka
- 4 oz Redbull or an energy drink
- Fill the shot glass with cherry liqueur or vodka
- Fill another glass with Redbull
- Add a splash of grenadine to the Redbull
- Shoot by dropping the show glass into the glass filled with Redbull
PIN THS RECIPE FOR LATER