For all of you who love a Lemon Drop Martini, but just don’t want to drink a whole one, here is the Lemon Drop Shot. Made with fresh lemon juice and sugar syrup, it’s sweet and tart at the same time, plus you get that dose of Vitamin C.
I loved Lemon Drop candies when I was a child, so it doesn’t seem far off that I would love a Lemon Drop Shot and a Lemon Drop Martini as an adult.
The Lemon Drop candy was invented in the 1800’s as a sore throat medicine, and lemon flavor is still used in some throat lozenges. They are made by boiling sugar, lemon juice and water, rolled and then cut into pieces. A Lemon Drop shot is not that different, except for the rolling and cutting into pieces!
Disclaimer: Some of these posts contain affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. That means that I may receive compensation if you click on these links and buy something, but, don’t worry, it won’t cost you a dime!
What is Lemon Drop cocktail
Even before Oprah made on TV, the Lemon Drop cocktail was popular. Technically a disco cocktail, it was invented in the 1970s by Norman Jay Hobday. Using the very trendy spirit of the moment, vodka, it blends lemon and sugar. Served in a Martini glass, it’s a variant of the simple vodka martini!
What tools you need to make the Lemon Drop Shot
You won’t be needing a cocktail shaker for this one! For the shot, there are a few ways you can make it, but the tools are the same. Grab a jigger, a barspoon, and chilled shot glasses. You’ll need to stir this one. If you want it sweeter, you can always add a touch of simple syrup.
As I say the better the spirit, the better the experience! Try a good quality vodka for this: Absolut, Grey Goose, or Ketel One! Just like salt added to the rim of a Margarita, the sugared rim can be added of you like it, otherwise just use a sugared lemon wedge.
- Top Tip(ple)🍸:
- You can rim the shot glass with sugar!
- Start with cold vodka – store it in the freezer
- You can dip lemon wedges in white sugar or coat sugar on the rim of the shot glass – there is no perfect way!
- You can use a different flavored vodka – Absolut Citron or another citrus vodka
- Meyer lemons make it pop even more
- Have extra lemon slices on hand if you want to sip it slowly
Where to find more lemon cocktail and shot recipes
You can find loads of recipes here! Here are a few of my favorites:
- Daddy Rack Tennessee Whiskey Rackhouse Lemonade
- Jack Daniel’s Lynchburg Lemonade
- Gordon’s Sicilian Lemon Gin & Tonic
- Green Tea Shot
- Chocolate Cake Shot
Where to find ingredients for the Lemon Drop Shot
Here is the recipe:
This Lemon Drop shot recipe is so easy! Its perfect mix of tart and sweet make a great shot to get the night started!
- 3/4 oz super-cold vodka
- 3/4 oz fresh lemon juice
- Lemon wedge
- Granulated sugar (optional)
- Add the vodka and the lemon juice to a shot glass
- Take the lemon wedge and dip it into the sugar
- Down the shot
- Suck on the lemon wedge
PIN THS RECIPE FOR LATER