Picture this: you’re lounging on a pristine sandy beach, the gentle waves lapping at the shore, and a refreshing drink in hand that’s as dazzling as the turquoise waters before you. If that sounds like a dream come true, then the Blue Hawaiian cocktail is your ticket to turning that dream into a reality!
This tropical delight is not only visually captivating with its vibrant blue hue, but it’s also a tantalizing blend of flavors that will transport your taste buds to a paradise of their own. So, let’s embark on a journey of mixology and learn how to whip up this delightful concoction in the comfort of your own home.
According to cocktial historians, the history of the Blue Hawaiian is sometimes confused with Bluw Hawaii cocktail which was invented by Harry Yee in Honolulu in 1957. That cocktail has vodka as its main spirit, while the Blue Hawaiian is totally rum!
The Blue Hawaiian was probably just a mix of the Blue Hawaii and the Piña Colada with the addition of coconut cream and orange liqueur. Another great summer cocktail!
Where to find ingredients for the Blue Hawaiian and other rum cocktails
Ingredients for the Blue Hawaiian
Let’s dive right into the ingredients for the Blue Hawaiian cocktail:
- Light Rum: At the core of the Blue Hawaiian cocktail is the light rum. This smooth and slightly sweet spirit lays the foundation for the drink, infusing it with a warmth that’s reminiscent of the sun-kissed beaches.
- Blue Curacao: This blue liqueur not only gives the cocktail its stunning azure color but also adds a hint of citrusy flavor. Made from the peel of the laraha citrus fruit, Blue Curacao is a key player in creating the visual and gustatory magic of the drink.
- Coconut Cream: To counterbalance the warmth of the rum and the zing of the Blue Curacao, enter the creamy embrace of coconut cream. This luscious ingredient adds a velvety texture and a tropical sweetness to the Blue Hawaiian cocktail.
- Pineapple Juice: No tropical concoction would be complete without the essence of pineapple, and the Blue Hawaiian is no exception. The pineapple juice injects the cocktail with a burst of tangy-sweet flavor that transports you to a hammock under swaying palm trees.
- Fresh Lime Juice: Adding a dash of zing to the mix, fresh lime juice is the secret ingredient that balances out the sweetness and brings a touch of tartness to the Blue Hawaiian.
- Crushed Ice: While not an ingredient in the traditional sense, crushed ice is the unsung hero that makes sure your Blue Hawaiian is perfectly chilled.
- Pineapple Wedge and Cherry (For Garnish): A pineapple wedge perched on the rim of the glass adds a touch of Hawaii, while a cherry nestled within the cocktail brings a pop of color!
What equipment you need to make Blue Hawaiian
You’ll be shaking this one, so grab your cocktail shaker!
- Cocktail Shaker: An essential tool for mixing and chilling the ingredients to perfection.
- Barspoon: Ideal for stirring and layering ingredients.
- Jigger: Precise measurements are crucial in mixology, and a jigger ensures you achieve the right balance of flavors.
- Strainer: After shaking the ingredients in your cocktail shaker, you’ll want to strain the mixture into your serving glass. A Hawthorne strainer, which has a spring-like coil, is commonly used to fit over the opening of the shaker and prevent ice and solids from entering the glass. A fine mesh strainer can also be used in tandem with a Hawthorne strainer for extra precision.
- Hurricane Glass: A Hurricane glass, characterized by its tall and curvaceous shape, is the ideal choice for showcasing the vibrant colors of the cocktail while leaving enough room for garnishes and ice.
Now that you’ve got your artillery in place, it’s time to channel your inner mixologist and shake things up – both literally and metaphorically!
- Chill Out: Begin by filling your cocktail shaker with some crushed ice. This is where the magic starts – the ice will chill your ingredients and ensure your cocktail is refreshingly cold.
- Pour in the Goodness: Now, it’s time to pour in the star players of this tropical symphony. Start with 2 oz of light rum. This is the foundation upon which the entire cocktail experience is built. The rum brings that hint of warmth and relaxation that’s synonymous with the beach.
- Blue Wonder: Next up, add 1 oz of Blue Curacao. This is where the cocktail earns its signature blue hue. Blue Curacao is a vibrant blue liqueur with a citrusy flavor that adds a delightful twist to your drink, both in color and taste.
- Creamy Coconut: To balance out the vibrant flavors, introduce 2 oz of coconut cream. This velvety addition brings in the lusciousness of coconut and a creamy texture that rounds off the drink beautifully.
- Tropical Bliss: No Blue Hawaiian is complete without the essence of the tropics. Pour in 3 oz of pineapple juice, and watch how the sweetness and tanginess of the pineapple transports you straight to a hammock under the palm trees.
- A Squeeze of Zest: The zingy factor comes from 1 oz of fresh lime juice. Lime juice adds that tangy kick that elevates the entire concoction and balances out the sweetness.
- Shake it Off: With all your ingredients in the shaker, it’s showtime! Put the cap on your shaker and shake it with all your might. Feel the rhythm, and let the ingredients dance together to create a symphony of flavors.
- The Grand Finale – Pour and Garnish: As your Blue Hawaiian cocktail shaker melody fades, it’s time for the grand finale. Grab your Hurricane glass and strain the contents of your shaker into the glass. You’ll notice that all those vibrant flavors and the mesmerizing blue color have come together to create a true masterpiece.
- But we’re not done just yet! Let’s give this creation the garnish it deserves. Take a slice of pineapple and make a small slit on one side so you can perch it on the rim of the glass. This little touch not only adds a burst of tropical charm but also gives you a delightful snack to enjoy as you sip your creation. And because no tropical cocktail is complete without a cherry on top, drop one into the drink.
- Bottom’s up!
Variations on the Blue Hawaiian
The Blue Hawaiian cocktail is a versatile canvas, and just like an artist, you have the freedom to customize it according to your preferences. If you’re feeling adventurous, consider these variations:
- Frozen Delight: Blend all the ingredients with ice for a slushy version that’s perfect for those scorching summer days.
- Skinny Twist: Opt for light coconut milk and reduced-sugar pineapple juice for a lighter version that doesn’t compromise on flavor.
- Spiked Sparkle: Add a splash of champagne to your Blue Hawaiian for a fizzy and celebratory twist.
- Mocktail Magic: Skip the rum and Blue Curacao, and replace them with lemonade and blueberry syrup for a delightful non-alcoholic version.
Why Lush Life loves it
As the last drops of your Blue Hawaiian cocktail disappear, you’ll find yourself longing for another trip to the tropics – even if it’s just through your taste buds. So the next time you’re yearning for an escape, gather your ingredients, don your mixologist hat, and let the Blue Hawaiian take you on a vacation without leaving your home.
Plus more tropical rum cocktails here
Here is the Blue Hawaiian recipe!
Picture this: you're lounging on a pristine sandy beach, the gentle waves lapping at the shore, and a refreshing drink in hand that's as dazzling as the turquoise waters before you. If that sounds like a dream come true, then the Blue Hawaiian cocktail is your ticket to turning that dream into a reality!
- 1 1/2 ounces light rum
- 3/4 ounce blue curaçao
- 2 ounces pineapple juice
- 3/4 ounce cream of coconut
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Garnish: pineapple wedge and cherry
- Add all the ingredients to a shaker
- Add ice
- Shake, shake, shake
- Strain into a hurricane glass
- Garnish with the pineapple and cherry
Disclaimer: Some of these posts contain affiliate links. I may receive compensation if you click on these links and buy something, but, don’t worry, it won’t cost you a dime! As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 642Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 28gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 254mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 10gSugar: 48gProtein: 4g
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Pin it for later
Love this recipe?
Follow me on Pinterest for loads of great recipes and much more!! Just click the little red pin button at the top of the recipe card!