Traditional afternoon tea reimagined in cocktail form, with a sugar syrup flavoured with tea and jam.
- 2 part (60ml) Earl Grey and blackcurrant jam syrup (see below)
- 2 part (60ml) gin (eg. Bombay Sapphire)
- 2 part (60ml) lemon juice
- About 1/4 of an egg white
- Sparkling wine, to top
- For the syrup: 1/4 tsp loose-leaf Earl Grey tea brewed in 60ml boiling water
- 25g blackcurrant jam
- 12g vanilla sugar
- 15ml apple juice
- Step 1 First make the syrup.
- Step 2 Brew 1/4 tsp of loose Earl Grey tea leaves in 60ml of almost-boiled water for five minutes, then strain out the tea leaves and blend the tea with 25g blackcurrant jam, 12g vanilla sugar and 15ml apple juice.
- Step 3 Once the jam and sugar have dissolved, strain again, bottle and chill.
- Step 4 To make the drink, put everything except the bubbles in a shaker and dry shake, so the egg white sets.
- Step 5 Add ice, shake again and strain into a chilled champagne flute.
- Step 6 Top with the sparkling wine and serve.