On my very first episode, I was lucky enough to grab the attention of Andy Mil of The Cocktail Trading Company, the extremely busy, award-winning London bartender on the cutting edge of creativity. Andy began his career as a chef working in some of the great London restaurants, though he found his calling when he moved from the back of the house to the front. He graciously sat down to talk me through this transition and how it lent itself to his award-winning cocktail making.
If you’re in London, make a pit-stop to 68 Bethnel Green Road and order the Bee’s Knees or their Old Fashioned, one of the best I have ever had. No matter how original or traditional, you can’t go wrong at The Cocktail Trading Company. That’s why they keep winning those awards
FYI: Don’t be confused! This video is branded with my old logo, Best Sips Worldwide. Just ignore it and watch the amazing cocktail making 😉
Try your hand at his cocktail recipe, the Afternoon Mar-Tea-Ni made with Gin and Sparkling Wine! Then try making the InstaSpam by watching Andy’s moves below!
- 2 part (60ml) Earl Grey and blackcurrant jam syrup (see below);
- 2 part (60ml) gin (eg. Bombay Sapphire)
- 2 part (60ml) lemon juice
- About 1/4 of an egg white
- Sparkling wine, to top
- First make the syrup*
- Brew 1/4 tsp of loose Earl Grey tea leaves in 60ml of almost-boiled water for five minutes, then strain out the tea leaves and blend the tea with 25g blackcurrant jam, 12g vanilla sugar and 15ml apple juice.
- Once the jam and sugar have dissolved, strain again, bottle and chill.
- To make the drink, put everything except the bubbles in a shaker and dry shake, so the egg white sets.
- Add ice, shake again and strain into a chilled champagne flute.
- Top with the sparkling wine and serve.
*For the syrup: Mix 1/4 tsp loose-leaf Earl Grey tea brewed in 60ml boiling water, 25g blackcurrant jam, 12g vanilla sugar and 15ml apple juice!
Don’t miss out on any Lush Life episodes!
You can get this and all future audio files automatically downloaded to your mobile device easy. If you’re on iOS, you can listen on Apple Podcast. It’s easy to Google Podcasts or Spotify too. Or click the player or link above to listen to just this episode. (But trust me, you’ll want to subscribe!)
Become a Patron of A Lush Life Manual for as little as $1 a month – less than Starbucks Flat White: www.Patreon.com/LushLife
Lush Life Merchandise is here – we’re talking t-shirts, mugs, iphone covers, duvet covers, ipad covers and more covers for everything! and more!
Theme music for Lush Life is by Steven Shapiro, and used with permission.
Lush Life is always and will be forever produced by Evo Terra and Simpler Media Productions.