Bruichladdich Laddie Sour is a gem of a cocktail! An easy cocktail recipe for the classic Whisky Sour made the Bruichladdich way with Scottish whisky, lemon juice, egg white, sugar and bitters!
What is a Whisky Sour cocktail
The origin of whiskey sour dates back to the 1860s. The first-ever recipe was recorded in a book by Jerry Thomas called “The Bartender’s Guide: How to Mix Drinks” in 1862. Furthermore, in 1870, a newspaper called Wisconsin also mentioned the “whiskey sour.” Although the early records of the name date back to 1860, it is believed that the British sailors enjoyed a drink very similar to this.
What is Bruichladdich Classic Laddie
Those of you who love cocktails and whiskeys know that Bruichladdich’s Classic Laddie needs no introduction/. Those who are new in this field of flavor, let me tell you this particular brand and the product is among the best out there. Bruichladdich is a distillery that produces top-notch single malt whisky. Classic Laddie is made from Scottish Barley. It is distilled and matured using American oak. This drink has quite a complex flavor. You can feel the flavors of sweet oak, malt, vanilla, with a hint of slight saltiness as well.
If you want to hear about how Adam Hannett, the Head Distiller of Bruichladdich, made his mark – check out his episode on Lush Life Podcast!
What is in the Bruichladdich’s Whisky Sour
- Classic Laddie: See above!
- Lemon juice: The citrusy and tangy flavor of lemon is a breath of fresh air. It is refreshing and adds a punch. It also balances out the flavors of the malt.
- Simple syrup: Simple syrup is the simplest way to add sweetness without spending a lot of time dissolving sugar granules. You can easily make it and store it for later use.
- Egg white – makes it foamy and luxurious
- Angostura bitters: Now, this ingredient works wonders. It balances out the flavors in a great way. You can easily find this ingredient from any grocery store. Angostura bitters are a blend of spices and herbs, and other flavors soaked in alcohol. These are weirdly tasteful and can get you drunk as well.
How to make Bruichladdich Laddie Whisky Sour?
Making Bruichladdich laddie sour is super easy. The process involves a cocktail shaker and takes no more than 60 seconds. Here is what you have to do:
- Step 1: Add all the ingredients into a shaker. Don’t add ice cubes. Seal the shaker and start shaking it for about 30 seconds.
- Step 2: Now add ice cubes and shake again for 30 seconds.
- Step 3: Pour the drink into the glass. Make sure you don’t get ice cubes in it.
- Step 4: Garnish it with lemon zest and serve.
- Top Tip(ple)🍸:
- Honey/maple syrup: Try adding honey or maple syrup instead of simple syrup. Honey will give a beautiful gold color, while maple syrup has a sweet toffee-like flavor.
- Lemon/orange peel: Although I have used lemon zest as a garnish, you can also add lemon peel. Try orange peel as well. The citrusy flavor with slight bitterness is just perfect.
- Maraschino cherry: Maraschino cherries are super sweet. They also have a bright and popping color. Add a cherry or two in the whiskey sour and enjoy.
Here is the recipe!
- 50 ml Classic Laddie
- 20 ml Lemon Juice
- 15 ml Simple Syrup
- Egg White
- Angostura Bitters
- Dry shake all ingredients together
- Add ice and wet shake
- Strain over ice into a rocks filled glass
- Garnish with lemon zest