Who is Tommy and why does he have his own margarita? Simply put, Tommy’s Margarita is the same as the original recipe, except using agave syrup instead of the triple sec.
Tommy’s Mexican Restaurant in San Francisco is where this popular tequila cocktail was born. In the 1990’s, Julio Bermejo had the brilliant idea to use the agave plant’s own sweetener in his margarita recipe. He definitely hit on something as its fame grew and grew. Tommy’s is still perennially on the 50 Best Bars list.
All you need is tequila, fresh lime juice and agave syrup. Make sure to buy 100% agave syrup as some are mostly just sugar syrup with a little added agave.
If you love a margarita, try the classic recipe as well! For more tequila cocktails, here is my list of a few you can try your hand at making! One is directly from the Connaught Bar in London!
- 2 oz Tequila (Make sure it's 100% Blue Agave!)
- 1 oz Fresh Lime juice
- 1/2 oz Agave syrup
- Garnish: Salt rim (optional)
- Add all the ingredients to a shaker.
- Add ice and then shake, shake, shake.
- Double strain into a rocks glass filled with ice.
- If you want a salt rim, dump some salt onto a plate, wet the rim of the glass with lime and then turn it upside down and dunk it in the salt.