This recipe by the amazing Jerri Banks of Fressen, a restaurant that I used to frequent in New York in the 90's, has been my go-to every holiday season. The Ginger Vodka is AMAZING!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup of grated fresh ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken up
- 3 to 4 whole cloves
- 1 gallon milk
- Glug of Ginger Vodka*
- Combine the sugar with 1 cup water in a small saucepan, and heat until sugar has dissolved.
- Add the grated ginger, cinnamon sticks, and cloves and remove from heat.
- Set aside to steep for 4 hours at room temperature.
- Add the syrup and the spices to the milk, and refrigerate for 2 to 6 hours to develop flavors.
- Strain, and serve cold or very gently warmed. (Do not allow the milk to get near a boil.)
- Serve with a cinnamon stick garnish and nutmeg on top.
*Ginger Vodka: 1 pound candied ginger to 1 liter vodka
1 week to 2 weeks ahead: Steep the candied ginger in the vodka in a large covered container.
Day of the party: Pour the vodka through a fine strainer and discard the candied ginger. Return the vodka to a bottle and put in the freezer. (May also be served over ice cream or anything else.)