Espresso Martini is one of the most popular cocktails in the world, that is for sure. Making it is so easy – just mix espresso and vodka with coffee liqueur, and it’s yours!
The history of the classic Espresso Martini is not that old. The rumor is that it was first ordered by a supermodel from bartender Dick Bradsell in a club in London in the 1980s. She asked for a cocktail that would “wake me up and then f**k me up.” Ever since, the strong coffee flavor and booze of this drink have been the talk of the town and every coffee lovers cocktails!
Usually served as an after dinner drink or end of dinner cocktail, the Espresso Martini can be enjoyed any time as that perfect cocktail with a boost of energy!
What goes into an Espresso Martini?
Here is what you will need to make this popular, classic coffee cocktail:
- Vodka: It’s not a martini without vodka (ok, gin too!). This distilled spirit is available everywhere and I would suggest getting one that doesn’t have a defined flavor. No matter which brand you choose, it should be a premium brand.
- Freshly brewed espresso coffee: Fresh espresso is crucial to this recipe. The rich brewed espresso will give you a deep and stronger coffee taste which we all love. Still, not everyone has an espresso machine in the house, so use whichever coffee machine you do have. Use espresso beans, if you can, or any strong, dark roast coffee beans. Other than an espresso maker , you can use a french press, a melita, or even a cold brew coffee maker. Strong cold brew coffee can be as a fresh shot of espresso.
- Coffee liqueur: The addition of a coffee liqueur such as Kahlua, Tia Maria or Mr. Black, adds even more coffee flavor, plus a little bit of sugar for this traditional Espresso Martini recipe
- Simple syrup: A simple blend of sugar in water is perfect for adding sweetness to this classic martini.
- Coffee beans: Use fresh coffee beans to garnish this cocktail.
What tools you need to make an Espresso Martini
How do you make the perfect Espresso Martini
Here are simple steps you have to follow:
Start by brewing fresh espresso coffee (or making coffee). You can do that in an espresso machine or in a French press. Whatever you have available will work. Once brewed, set it aside. In a cocktail shaker, add vodka, coffee liqueur, simple syrup, and freshly brewed espresso. Add ice cubes and seal the shaker with a lid. Now, give the shaker a vigorous shake for about 60 seconds. Strain everything into a chilled coupe or martini glass. Garnish with either a sprinkling of ground coffee, instant espresso powder, or coffee beans and serve.
- 🍸Top Tip(le): It’s best if you put the vodka into the freezer to get it really cold beforehand.
- Always brew fresh espresso for this cocktail. Make sure you are using premium quality coffee.
- The Espresso Martini is known for its froth which comes from shaking warm espresso in the shaker. So, make sure you don’t let the espresso sit for too long. It should be warm enough.
- Don’t forget it place the serving glass in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- To ensure you have froth, serve this drink immediately.
- You can always make this with decaf espresso as well or a double shot of espresso!
What else can you do with the Espresso Martini
Here are a few ways you can adjust this drink according to your liking:
- Flavored vodka: Try this Espresso Martini with flavored vodka, instead of regular vodka. Vanilla vodka is the most usual one!
- Irish cream: This drink goes so well with Irish cream as it makes it even creamier. You can use any brand, but I prefer the original Bailey’s Irish cream.
- Rum: You can use rum instead of vodka as well. Rum has a richer and much more pronounced flavor.
- Flavored liqueur: Use flavored liqueur like salted caramel or chocolate.
- Rim the Glass: You can rim the glass with espresso, cinnamon or even coat the inside with a little caramel or chocolate syrup!
Where to find more Martini recipes
Here are a few of my favorites:
- The classic of classics: The Classic Gin Martini
- James Bond’s go-to Martini: The Vodka Martini
- Try the Vesper Martini if you love Vermouth
- The Naughty Porn Star Martini
- The Martini of the Moment: The Gibson Martini
- My absolute fave: The Dirty Martini
Plus more Espresso Martini recipes here
Disclaimer: Some of these posts contain affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. That means that I may receive compensation if you click on these links and buy something, but, don’t worry, it won’t cost you a dime!
Where to find ingredients for Espresso Martini cocktails
Here is the recipe!
Espresso Martini is one of the most popular cocktails in the world, that is for sure. Making it is so easy - just mix espresso and vodka with coffee liqueur, and it's yours!
- 2 oz Vodka
- 1/2 oz Coffee liqueur
- 1/4 oz Simple syrup
- 1 oz Freshly brewed espresso
- Coffee beans
- Add all of the ingredients to a shaker
- Fill with ice and shake
- Strain into a chilled coupe glass
- Garnish with 3 coffee beans
Disclaimer: Some of these posts contain affiliate links. I may receive compensation if you click on these links and buy something, but, don’t worry, it won’t cost you a dime! As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 439Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 882mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 10gSugar: 29gProtein: 12g
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Pin it for later
Love this recipe?
Follow me on Pinterest for loads of great recipes and much more!! Just click the little red pin button at the top of the recipe card!