The Classic Snowball combines creamy Advocaat liqueur and lemonade to make the classic Christmas cocktail and holiday drink! You have to taste it to believe it.
Call it a retro cocktail and you wouldn’t be wrong, but this snowball cocktail recipe is really timeless and the perfect winter treat. It doesn’t seem right that you could combine fizzy lemonade or cloudy lemonade with egg liqueur, but somehow it works to produce a creamy drink with a festive flavor!
What is Advocaat
The base of the Snowball drink is made with Advocaat, which is like eggnog in a bottle. Advocaat is made with sugar and egg yolks, plus the all important brandy!
Advocaat is actually the Dutch word for lawyer! I am not sure if this is specifically a lawyer’s drink, but whoever drank it, the Snowball became the cocktail to be made at Christmas time. Maybe it’s the velvety texture or just the fact it’s a delicious drink!
Several Dutch companies make Advocaat, but I am using Warnicks Advocaat for this recipe. If you have a bottle of Advocaat in the back of your drinks cabinet, time to dust it off and try your hand at creating Christmas spirit in a glass!
What tools you need to make the Snowball
You will be needing a cocktail shaker for this one! Grab a jigger, strainer, and also a chilled cocktail glass for this Snowball recipe.
You can also make these in a highball glass or a tall glass with lots of ice cubes, but I prefer Martini glasses so that’s my choice!
What ingredients go into a Snowball
As we said, you need Advocaat or it’s not a Snowball. Then it’s super important that you use a good quality lemonade or lemon-lime soda. It’s a pretty rich drink, so you will also need fresh lime juice to cut the intense sweetness.
To garnish, you can use a maraschino cherry, a slice of lime, a cinnamon stick or even a few mini meringues on the top of the drink.
Those are the cocktail’s core elements, but there are dozens of twists!
- Top Tip(ple)🍸:
- You can rim the shot glass with cinnamon sugar
- Use a touch of cream of coconut to give it a tropical feel
- Top up with vodka or pineapple vodka as well to up the ABV
- Try Ginger Ale to give it a drier flavor
- Instead of meringue, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dome of frothy white foam made of whipped egg whites on top of the drink!
Where to find more Snowball recipes
You can find loads of brand-new Snowball Cocktail recipes to try! Here are a few of my favorites:
- Advocaat Custard Dream Snowball
- Advocaat Italian Snowball
- Advocaat Snowball Fizz
- Advocaat Posh Snowball
- Or try. the Belsazar Vermouth Snowball if you want to try one with vermouth!
- Nigella Lawson made her own very of the Snowball cocktail recipe too!
Where to find ingredients for the Snowball
Here is the recipe:
- 50 ml Warninks Advocaat
- 25 ml Lime cordial or fresh lime juice
- 150 ml Lemonade
- Shake Warninks Advocaat and freshly squeezed lime juice or cordial together with ice.
- Strain into a coupe or martini glass and top up with lemonade or soda.
- Garnish with Christmas foliage or mini meringues for a touch of class!
PIN THS RECIPE FOR LATER