Avallen Tarte Tatin
Tart Tatin is such a rustic yet elegant dessert. It is also easy to prepare ahead, resting on the counter as an impressive and tantalizing prelude to after dinner deliciousness.
- 6-7 medium sized Granny Smith Fuji or Delicious apples
- 1 cup or 200g granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup or 130g cold cubed French butter
- 1/2 cup or 60ml Avallen Calvados
- 1/2 cup or 60ml water
- 250 g cold puff pastry rolled in to a 23cm round
- Cut the apples in half and use a melon baller to remove the seeds. Keep the skins on the apples if you wish, they are delicious.
- Place a heavy bottom saucepan on medium heat.
- Add the butter, water and sugar and slowly cook to a dark golden caramel.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the Avallen slowly and gently swirl to combine.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove apples from the caramel to a 23cm wide by 5cm deep oven proof pan (cast iron is lovely to use) and place in a ring.
- Make sure that the apples are tightly packed together, in a single flat layer.
- Pour the remaining caramel from the saucepan over the apples 2/3 of the way up the cast iron pan.
- Place the cold pastry round on top of the apples, using a spoon to tuck the sides of the disc around the apples.
- Prick the pastry with a fork 8-10 times and bake in a pre-heated 180°C
oven for 50-60 minutes or until the pastry is a dark, golden brown tone.
- Remove from the oven and allow the tart to rest in the pan for 20-30 minutes on a cooling rack.
- Place a larger serving plate over the pan and carefully invert onto the platter.
- Gently lift off the pan and enjoy the beauty!
Serving: 1gCalories: 399kcalCarbohydrates: 53gProtein: 3gFat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gPolyunsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 149mgFiber: 4gSugar: 36g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!