The Lime Rickey is a breath of fresh air, really! You can imagine yourself sipping this classic drink on a hot summer day and enjoying it all by yourself. If not that, it is a great drink to serve at your outdoor parties or BBQs.
When I think of making the Lime rickey, I think about days gone by – bobby soxers sitting at soda fountains sharing a tall glass after high school has been let out! Maybe it’s the name Rickey. It bring back the days of yore. Colonel Joe Rickey, the inspiration for the original rickey cocktail which was made with bourbon, is from the 1800’s.
Our modern day version is a non-alcoholic Lime Rickey cocktail filled with ice and a lime wedge! It’s refreshing, citrusy and the flavor of lime lingers on your tongue. Here is everything you need to know about this super easy-to-make drink!
What’s in a Lime Rickey
- Fresh Lime juice: Freshly squeezed juice of limes brings in the citrusy flavor and freshness of the drink. Lime juice is the main ingredient of this drink since it is lime rickey. You really can’t make it without limes. If you hate limes, then use lemon juice and make lemonade!
- Simple syrup: I love using simple syrup because it is super convenient. It is actually a mixture of sugar and water. Simply heat sugar with water until it dissolves completely. You can store this syrup in the refrigerator and use it whenever you want.
- Sparkling water: Sparkling water, soda water, or club soda adds the fizz. It is water infused with carbon dioxide and doesn’t have a prominent flavor, but can be a bit salty, so choose whatever brand you like.
- Lime wedges: Use lime wedges for garnish. Let it sit for some time, so the flavors infuse. The citrusy flavor and slightly bitter note on the rind, in the end, make this drink a complete package.
What tools you need to make the Lime Rickey cocktail
You won’t be needing a cocktail shaker for this one! For a single drink, grab a jigger and a highball glass filled loads of ice cubes for this Lime Rickey recipe. Or take a large pitcher filled with more than one for everyone to enjoy at the picnic.
Variations on the Lime Rickey!
- Raspberry Lime Rickey: If you are looking for some dramatics and an ombre effect, try Raspberry Lime rickey. It is not just delicious but has a beautiful presentation. The raspberry syrup is a simple recipe to follow. Just simmer on a low heat, the raspberries, mix sugar in and then water. Drain and cool the syrup. Now the trick is to pour the cooled syrup first into the serving glass, followed by the sparkling water and lime juice.
- Cherry Lime Rickey: The Cherry Lime Rickey has a punch of lime and sweetness of the cherries. This cocktail has a beautiful red color and is visually very appealing. Plus, it is super easy to make. Just prepare a simple syrup with fresh or frozen cherries. This red cherry syrup will become the base for your cherry-lime rickey.
- Grape Lime Rickey: As with the others, replace grapes with the other fruits and make a syrup, or add grape juice.
- Chamomile-Lime Rickey: Get floral notes blended with citrusy flavor with this variation. Just switch simple syrup with chamomile simple syrup, and voila!
- Make an alcoholic drink: Complete this drink and turn it into a cocktail by using alcohol. You can combine gin and make a Gin Rickey, Vodka Rickey, or Whiskey Rickey. Whatever suits your mood and personality will work.
- Top Tip(ple)🍸:
- Can I make lime rickey without alcohol? Yes, you can skip the alcohol, but then it will taste just like a lemonade.
- Do you have to make simple syrup every time? No, you can make it in a large batch, let it cool down, and store. It is very convenient, especially when making large batches of lime rickey. The ratio for making simple syrup is 1:1 for sugar and water.
- What can I use instead of sparkling water? If you don’t want to use sparkling water, use unflavored seltzer or club soda.
Disclaimer: Some of these posts contain affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. That means that I may receive compensation if you click on these links and buy something, but, don’t worry, it won’t cost you a dime!
Where to find ingredients for the Lime Rickey
You can find all the ingredients at Spirits Kiosk (10% off the entire site by quoting this code: ALushLife10SK.) in the UK; or Drizly (Get $5 Off Your Order of $20+ using code ALUSHLIFE5) in the USA!
Here is the recipe for the Lime Rickey:
- 2 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 oz Simple syrup
- 4 oz Sparkling water
- Lime wedges
- For a cocktail: 2 oz gin, vodka, or whiskey
- Add all of the ingredients to a highball glass
- Add ice
- Stir gently
- Garnish with the lime wedges
PIN THS RECIPE FOR LATER